In today's globalised economy, businesses of all sizes rely on efficient and cost-effective shipping solutions to stay competitive. Whether you ...
Shipping high value or fragile goods safely with FreightExchange
Shipping high value or fragile goods safely
Shipping high value or fragile goods can be daunting task, as you want to ensure that your valuable items are safely transported to their destination.
With our years of experience in shipping high value and fragile freight, we have developed a proven set of steps to help you minimise the chances of damage or loss during transit.
Prepare Your Items for Shipping
1. Assess the packaging: The first step is to carefully assess your packaging to ensure it adequately protects your goods from shock, vibration, and other potential unexpected hazards. Make sure it is sturdy and can withstand being loaded and unloaded by forklift, that the packaging can withstand heat, cold and even damp. Reinforce weak spots or even better, use specialised packaging designed for high value items.
2. Use proper padding: Using the right cushioning material is crucial for protecting your high value goods. Bubble wrap, foam, or air pillows can provide effective cushioning. Make sure to wrap each item individually, paying attention to delicate parts or fragile areas. Fill any empty spaces in the package with cushioning material to prevent movement during transit.
3. Secure the items: To prevent shifting or damage, it is essential to secure your high value goods within the packaging. Use strong tape to seal the package and add extra layers if necessary. For particularly valuable items, consider using tamper-evident tape to provide an additional level of security and deter potential theft.
4. Consider consolidating fragile items onto a pallet or in a crate: If your items are fragile or easily damaged, it is often single pallet or crate is safer than sending multiple boxes that can be dropped or tipped when being processed through sortation devices.
5. Wrap & label the items discreetly: While it is essential to label your package with the necessary shipping information, it's best to avoid drawing attention to its valuable contents. Use discreet labels that do not reveal the nature of the goods inside. This minimises the risk of theft or mishandling during transit.
6. Attach labels securely: As you want to keep a close eye on your high goods in transit via carrier tracking, be sure that the labels are clearly visible for drivers and scanners and that they will not fall or rub off in transit.
Once you have prepared your high value items for shipping, you can enjoy the benefits of knowing that you have taken the right steps to protect your valuable goods from accidental damage or theft.
The Benefits of Properly Packing High Value Goods
Properly packing high value goods offers several key benefits:
1. Enhanced protection: By using suitable packaging materials and techniques, you significantly reduce the risk of damage to your valuables. With proper cushioning and secure packaging, the likelihood of breakage or other forms of harm during transit is greatly minimised.
2. Peace of mind: When you go the extra mile to pack your high value goods safely, it brings peace of mind. You can rest assured that your items are well-protected and in good hands during their journey. This confidence allows you to focus on other aspects of the shipping process.
3. Professionalism: When you present your high value goods in well-packed and protected packaging, it conveys professionalism and attention to detail. Customers and recipients will appreciate the care you have taken to ensure the safe arrival of their valuable items.
4. Mitigated liability: Properly packing your high value goods can help minimise liability in case of damage or loss during shipping. By demonstrating that you have taken reasonable precautions, you position yourself in a stronger position to negotiate with shipping carriers or file insurance claims, if necessary.
Overall, the advantages of properly packing high value goods make it a worthwhile investment of time and effort.
Select The Right Carrier & Service
Tracking high value goods during shipping is crucial to maintaining visibility and ensuring their safe arrival.
1. Service selection: We offer a range of carriers and services for high value goods and recommend that you choose an overnight or same day service. This means your goods travel quickly, reducing the risk that things can go wrong.
2. Tracking: FreightExchange offers real time branded tracking so that you and your receiver can monitor the progress of your shipment online. We provide email notifications so that you can keep updated on any changes or delays in the shipping process.
4. Delivery confirmation: For particularly valuable shipments, we recommend that you require a signature upon delivery. This provides an additional layer of security, ensuring that your high value goods reach the intended recipient and reducing the risk of theft or misplacement.
Insurance Options for Valuable Shipments
Insure your goods properly
Insurance is a vital consideration when shipping high value goods. It provides financial protection in case of loss, damage, or theft. Several insurance options are available to safeguard your valuable shipments.
With FreightExchange you can insure a single shipment for up to $50,000 to provide more comprehensive coverage for your high value goods. Our insurance policies are designed to protect against a wider range of risks with higher limits and better coverage terms.
If your high value goods are irreplaceable or have sentimental value, self-insurance may be your only option. This involves accepting the risk yourself and budgeting for any potential loss or damage. While self-insurance avoids the need to pay for external coverage, it does come with the responsibility of assuming the full financial consequences in case of any mishaps.
Before deciding on an insurance option, carefully review our Transit Insurance guide and ensure that you've understood and accept the risks of shipping your goods.
Security Considerations for Shipping High Value Goods
When shipping high value goods, it is also essential to prioritise security to protect your valuable items from theft or tampering. Here are some key security considerations to keep in mind:
1. Choose trusted carriers: Select reputable overnight or same day carriers with a proven track record for handling high value goods. We are happy to provide information on carrier security protocols, reputation, and reviews to ensure you have the right measures in place to safeguard valuable shipments.
2. Require signature upon delivery: Request a signature upon delivery. This ensures that only authorised individuals receive the package, reducing the risk of theft or misplacement. If possible, opt for delivery to a secure location or provide instructions for safe drop-off.
3. Use tamper-evident packaging: Invest in tamper-evident packaging materials that clearly show if the package has been opened or tampered with. This serves as a deterrent and provides evidence in case of any suspicious activity.
4. Check the tracking often: As mentioned earlier, tracking technology can be a valuable asset when shipping high value goods. By staying informed about the location and status of your shipment, you can quickly identify any discrepancies or potential issues and take appropriate action.
5. Employ discreet but secure labelling: Avoid using labels that indicate the valuable contents of your package. Instead, use generic or inconspicuous labels to prevent attracting undue attention and reduce the risk of theft or mishandling.
By implementing these security considerations, you can significantly enhance the safety of your high value goods during shipping.